By Kirk Ormand
- First selection of its type to supply introductory essays to the fragments of his misplaced performs and to the remainder fragments of 1 satyr-play, the Ichneutae, as well as each one of his extant tragedies
- Features new essays on Sophoclean drama that cross way past the present kingdom of scholarship on Sophocles
- Presents readings that historicize Sophocles in terms of the social, cultural, and highbrow international of 5th century Athens
- Seeks to put later interpretations and diversifications of Sophocles of their ancient context
- Includes essays devoted to problems with gender and sexuality; major moments within the background of analyzing Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles through either old and smooth playwrights
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Figuring the female examines the feminine physique as a way of articulating questions of literary authority and perform in the cultural spheres of the Iberian Peninsula (both Romance and Semitic) in addition to within the higher Latinate literary tradition. It demonstrates the centrality in medieval literary tradition of the gendering of rhetorical and hermeneutical acts considering the construction of texts and which means, and the significance of the medieval Iberian textual culture during this procedure, a posh multicultural culture that's usually missed in medieval literary scholarship.
A spouse to Sophocles offers the 1st finished choice of essays in many years to deal with all facets of the existence, works, and significant reception of Sophocles. First selection of its style to supply introductory essays to the fragments of his misplaced performs and to the rest fragments of 1 satyr-play, the Ichneutae, as well as every one of his extant tragedies beneficial properties new essays on Sophoclean drama that cross well past the present kingdom of scholarship on Sophocles offers readings that historicize Sophocles when it comes to the social, cultural, and highbrow international of 5th century Athens Seeks to put later interpretations and variations of Sophocles of their ancient context comprises essays devoted to problems with gender and sexuality; major moments within the historical past of examining Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles through either historical and smooth playwrights
Contemplating a big selection of resources, this booklet finds the tenacity with which Alfonso II (1162-1196) and his son Peter II (1196-1213) of the Crown of Aragon solid a tighter Mediterranean neighborhood community and augmented their neighborhood success.
Starting in outer area and finishing up one of the atoms, "Bucolic Ecology" illustrates how those poems many times flip to the flora and fauna on the way to outline themselves and their position within the literary culture. It argues that the 'Eclogues' locate there either a chain of analogies for his or her personal poetic strategies and a map upon which might be positioned different landmarks in Greco-Roman literature.
- Regelbuch und Observanz: Der Codex A 53 der Burgerbibliothek Bern als Reformprogramm des Johannes Meyer für die Berner Dominikanerinnen (Kulturtopographie des alemannischen Raums) (German Edition)
- Lignes et lignages dans la littérature arthurienne (Interférences) (French Edition)
- Handbook of Medieval Culture. Volume 2 (De Gruyter Reference)
- Writing Biography in Greece and Rome: Narrative Technique and Fictionalization
- Figuring Genre in Roman Satire (American Philological Association American Classical Studies)
- Reading Chaucer After Auschwitz: Sovereign Power and Bare Life (The New Middle Ages)
Additional info for A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Kirk Ormand